November 15, 2012

(Almost) Vegan Banana Bread

There are two reasons I could never become a vegan.





Oh cheese, I just can't quit you.

I loooved being a vegetarian.  It's sweet.  Veggies, carbs, veggies, and ice cream.  Best diet ever. 

But being a vegan is just something that I think will elude me for-e-ver. (Sandlot style)

While I'm running, I let my mind wander to weird things.  Often, it ends up being about food.  I'm a fat kid.

Yesterday on my run, I was thinking, "If you could only eat five things for the rest of your life, what would they be?"

(Also, I like to make lists of five.  That's a different topic for a different day.)

So, my five foods.

1.  Mac and cheese (my favorite food ever)
2.  Pizza
3.  Ice cream
4.  Cheesecake
5.  Corn on the cob

Yup, 4 out of 5 of those foods contain dairy.  What can I say?  It's DELICIOUS.

No knock against vegans.  You guys are pret-ty awesome.  I'm envious, really.  I have veganenvy.  Because you guys are hip and cool.

I do love a challenge, though, and really love trying to make baked goods veganized.  Flax eggs and almond milk.  It's where it's at.  

And I can pretend that I'm cool.



(Almost) Vegan Banana Bread
Adapted from my Banana Bread, which is adapted from Janetha's
 
3 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c light brown sugar, loose
1/2 c dark brown sugar, loose
1 individual applesauce cup (or 1/3 c)
1/2 scant c oil
1 T vanilla
3 flax eggs*
1 1/3 c almond milk
1 T white vinegar
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c chocolate chips, melted (<~~NOT vegan)

*1 flax egg = 1 T ground flax seed + 3 T water
     allow to sit for 15-30 minutes, or until thick and goopy

In a glass measuring cup, measure out almond milk and add in 1 tablespoon vinegar.  Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.

In a separate bowl, beat all sugars, applesauce, and oil until well combined.  Stir in vanilla and flax eggs. 

Pour almond/vinegar into the sugar mixture and stir until well incorporated.

Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet until just combined.  Gently stir in bananas, don't over mix!  You don't want chewy bread!

Spray down two pan loafs generously.  Pour 1/4 of the batter into each pan.

Evenly distribute the melted chocolate chips between the two pans, drizzling generously on top of the batter.  

Pour the remaining batter into the two pans evenly.  Then, take a butter knife and gently swirl the batter a few times to distribute the chocolate throughout the loaf.

Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.

You could make this all cool and hip and vegan without the chocolate chips.  OR, with *gasp* vegan chocolate chips.


I'll just be over here with my cheese, not being cool.  That's okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment