February 16, 2013

Tapering and Turning 30


You read that right.  This is a big year.

The big 3-0.

Via

In April, I'll leave my 20's behind and venture into middle age.

What I'm banking on is that I'll finally be old enough to go to bed before 9pm and watch Wheel of Fortune without being judged.

Oh, that's still not cool at 30?  Hmmm.  Ah well, there's always 40.

So.  I know I've been hinting at a big plan for my big day.  As cryptic as it was, I wasn't sure if I wanted to broadcast my idea to the whole world the 3 people who read my blog.  But then something occured to me.

I'm doing this for me.  

If I don't do it?  Big deal.  I want to do something to commemorate a milestone in my life.  Is turning 30 REALLY that big a deal?  Pfft, heck no.  It's just another day. 

But.  As rough as life has been the past year and a half, I really want to do something to show how far I've come with running.  I want something positive to start this new decade of my life.  To go from a 10th grader who could barely run 3 miles, to....


Running 30 miles on my 30th birthday.



The first time I had this thought was when THIS COOL CHICK did it.  I know, I'm such a follower.

It got the wheels a turnin' and I found myself googling "long runs and tapering before a marathon".

My birthday is about 6 weeks before the Buffalo Marathon, and I don't want to peek too early.  From what I've read, it's okay to peek at mileage that early, and to perhaps continue on with a harder training program in the form of effort for a few weeks past that.

So who knows.  That's my plan right now.  Maybe I'll do it, maybe I'll fail miserably.  But, I want to give it my all, and try.

I think one of the biggest regrets you can have in life is not trying to fulfill your dreams.


Be ambitious.  You might surprise yourself.


Question:

Help!  Any insight on marathon tapering?  I can take all the advice I can get :)






2 comments:

  1. I don't want to be a debbie downer, but 30 miles is ALOT for one day unless you build up to it (ie: your previous weeks leading up to it should be in the mid to upper 20s also). Perhaps, can you run 30 miles over the weekend instead of just on the day, like 5 miles on Fri, 20 on Sat, and 5 on Sunday? It would be horrible to get hurt or tweak a muscle or knee six weeks before the big marathon. Just food for thought! That said, if you do it, please blog about it because I would be so curious to how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your input! I know it's definitely a lofty goal. I told myself that if I can't work up to those miles before then, I definitely will not be pushing myself to try and fit them in in one day. I have 8 weekends to go and ran a little over a 17 miler Saturday, so if I feel prepared enough, I'll try it. If not, I'll just have to eat a lot of cake anyway :) Sorry your foot isn't feeling any better :( But! It'll be April 1st before you know it!!

      Delete