June 20, 2012

Taco Stuffed Peppers

I had never been more excited for a rest day than yesterday.   

Although I did kind of miss seeing Sean T in all his shirtless glory showing me the correct form to do squats, it was the price I had to pay.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with Taco Stuffed Peppers, but if I'm gonna be honest, most things on this blog will never really flow together.  I love too many random things.

My family.  Running.  Ice cream.  Crafts.  Country music.  Will Ferrell.  Red Cat Wine.  Ryan Reynolds shirtless.  The list could go on forever.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I have no exciting interests a very scattered brain.  So I apologize in advanced for talking about sweaty Sean T and his squats and then rolling right into some mexican treat.  It's just how I function.

These tacos.  Ooooh man.

Since Joel is on his weight loss journey, I've been trying to come up with fun, fresh, HEALTHY options for dinner.  I feel like this is the hardest meal to come up with things that are delicious, but don't break the calorie bank, if you know what I mean.

Back in the day (which was a Wednesday) I used to make these stuffed shells all the time.  Of course, I just totally changed everything in the recipe loosely followed the directions.  But now that we're trying to eat healthier, I took all my modifications and threw the stuffing into peppers.

So tasty.  So easy.  So HEALTHY.  Each one of these babies came in around 230 calories.  Woo.

Hope you enjoy!!

Taco Stuffed Peppers
makes 6 stuffed peppers

1 pound lean ground turkey (I used 93% lean)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small can diced green chilis
3 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup canned black beans
1-2 tablespoons cilantro
3 medium sized green peppers, sliced in half

On medium heat, saute the onion and olive oil until onion is soft.  Add in garlic and cook 2 minutes.

Add ground turkey and cook until no pink remains.  Add green chilis and spices until incorporated.

Reduce heat to low, and add cream cheese, stirring until all the cheese has melted and is covering the meat mixture.

Gently mix in black beans and cilantro, and remove from heat.

Take the 6 halves, and fill them with the mixture.  Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until peppers have cooked through and are soft. 

Top with sour cream, hot sauce, or your favorite salsa!


It's not the most photogenic meal.  Poor little guy.





No comments:

Post a Comment